Home Page Products Reference About Us Contact Us Articles

Press Kit


 Looking For a Professional Mold Inspector

There are only a few states with licensing requirements for mold inspectors. This is not a bad thing. Have you ever had a bad hair-cut from a licensed cosmetologist? Ever had problems with your home made by a licensed contractor? Just having a license does not make one competent. You can become an EPA certified asbestos building inspector and inspect for asbestos in public schools by taking a week long class and passing a written exam you are guaranteed to pass if you can read English. No experience is required.

  There is independent certification body that requires a minimum number of years experience and demonstrated competency for mold inspectors: the American Indoor Air Quality Council,  www.iaqcouncil.org/Consumers/consumers.htm. The applicant must submit project sheets spanning years of experience to a board that votes to award certification. The applicant must pass an exam.  The instructor is not allowed to view which is administered by an independent organization. The consultant certification is accredited by the Engineering and Scientific Specialty Boards (CESB) as an Engineering Related Program.  
  Require the professional you hire to be certified by an organization such as this. Ask how long someone has been doing inspections and ask for a sample report so you can see how they will interpret results. Some inspectors merely attach a cover letter to the laboratory results and may not be able to help you interpret the lab results or make recommendations for getting rid of the mold. Make sure who you hire can consult with you to solve any mold problems that are identified as a result of testing.  
  Training Courses  
  The Indoor Air Quality Association (IAQA). (301) 231-8388. www.iaqa.org  
  The American Indoor Air Quality Association (AmIAQ). (800) 942-0832, www.iaqcouncil.org  
  How to Select a Mold Inspector  
  Three Important Questions to Ask a Mold Consulting Company BEFORE Hiring.  
  1. Are you certified? By what authority?

    An experiences  professional should hold the CMC (Certified Microbial Consultant), CIEC (Certified Indoor Environmental Consultant) or equivalent certifications from the American Indoor Air Quality Council (800) 942-0832, www.iaqcouncil.org.

    These board-awarded certifications are the “mold inspector” certifications accredited by the Council for Engineering and Scientific Specialty Boards (CESB), the same prestigious body that also accredits the Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
  2. Do you send your samples to an independent laboratory that is accredited by the American Industrial Hygiene Association and in compliance with ISO 17025 Standard for performing microscopic analysis of fungi?

    Ask what lab they use. Call the lab and verify that it is accredited. Check the AIHA’s website for a list:
  3. Are you insured? For “mold”?

    Inspectors should carry $1 Million of general liability and E & O insurance that includes “mold”.
Back to top 
  Copyright © 2014-2017 Healthy Living Spaces LLC.  All rights reserved.   877-992-9904
Revised: July 05, 2017.

Information in this document is subject to change without notice.
Other products and companies referred to herein are trademarks or registered tra
demarks of their respective companies or trademark holders
Home Page Products Reference About Us Contact Us Articles

Media Center